BAT or brown adipose tissue is one of the two types of fat found in humans. It is abundant in newborns and contains many smaller droplets of lipids with a lot of mitochondria with iron hence the brown color. As infants grow up, this tissue becomes similar in appearance to white fat but there have been many articles and research that relate BAT to skeletal muscle.
Functionally, BAT has a primary function – to generate body heat by burning fat. That explains why BAT is present in hibernating mammals and also animals that do not shiver. Based on reading research articles, BAT is a fat burning fat cell so it maybe good for us. BAT growth maybe stimulated by cold and therapies like hydrotherapy as well as books like the “The 4 hour body” by Tim Ferriss talk about the benefits of cold water and showers. Refer to article here.
Therefore, BAT maybe a good fat and stimulating its growth could be a valuable aid in burning fat. IMHO, cold showers in the morning, encouraged by yoga and other eastern philosophies did have BAT research behind it !
– Gary Saggu
1. First meal of the day needs to be slow carb diet conforming. This is not a cheat meal. Today mine was a mix of mung bean and green lentils with ghee and some spices. This was accompanied by a little guacamole and an egg white omelet with an organic egg. The omlet was mixed with some onions.
2. About 2 hours later, I had some sliced grapefruit. Grapefruit juice is ideal but I could not find it (without added hi-fructose sugar) so that became my source of Naringin.
3. PAGG is taken to reduce glucose sensitivity but I am not on PAGG. I would love to hear if how PAGG or AGG is working for people on cheat day.
4. Lots of citrus juices during or lemon juice with water. I had a freshly squeezed glass of orange juice – heavenly.
5. Lots of going to the toilet. I had the honor of going about 4 times already and it is only tea time.
6. Regarding the contractions in between meals, I have not been good with those. I did walk briskly all day today. I think I might go to the gym to make up for no air squats or other stuff before my meal. But my first binge was a healthy soy burger(with muenster cheese) with some greens. Hardly a binge but I am trying to wait for an Opera pastry waiting for me in the fridge.
More thoughts on cheat day from the mind of Gary Saggu later as time progresses…now high tea (with scones and clotted cream, not! – I feel full already!)
– Gary Saggu
Interesting thing happened to me at my local Whole Foods. I wanted to add some variety to my breakfast and innocently opted for smoked trout for protein early this week. The trout was yummy and all natural etc. Last night I was at whole foods again loading up on lentils and other slow carb foods recommended for the SCD (in the 4 hour body). This time I checked the ingredients of my smoked trout and turned out that it did have “all natural” cane sugar. So I checked all the smoked trouts from different vendors and they all had some form of sugar in it. Hidden sugar in apparently safe foods that one can eat while on the SCD is a big reason why this diet may not be providing the results expected.
Check out Healthymap.com with apps to locate veggie restaurants and healthy eats around you. A must have for vegetarians and healthy eaters on the go.
Two cities are currently supported:-
- Veggie and vegetarian friendly restaurants in NYC: HealthymapNY
- Veggie and vegetarian friendly eats in London: HealthymapUK